Hello everyone

My L2 has stopped working satisfactorily and I cant afford to have it repaired or replaced at the moment but need to keep on keeping on...

I have 4 802 series 2 speakers and controller that I bought new at least 25 years ago in good condition and a friend has given me Behringer PMP 1280 s to keep going.

Just wondering if any one can help with hooking up the controller to the mixer/amp.

I have hooked it up in the normal way with outputs/inputs from the controller to main inputs/outputs on the behringer.

Thing is Im not hearing the improvement in the sound that I would have expected as was always the case with previous set ups.

My question is have I hooked it up correctly?

If Im not hearing the marked sound improvement is it possible its not working and will I do damage? The controller itself is definitely working, checked with a different amp. 

Also the input to main section of the behringer 1280s mixer amp seems to have a volume control knob that goes from 0 to 10 with an indent at the    5 / half way position. what is the significance  of this knob and where should it be set if using bose controller.

Any / all help suggestions really appreciated

Regards

Vincent

Original Post

Hello Bruce

I gope the following helps you to help me.

The powered mixer/amp I have is called a Behringer europower pmp 1280S

The bose controller have is a bose 802 c system controller matched with the bose 802 series 11 speakers I purchased new many years ago.

I have hooked it up in the normal way with outputs/inputs from the controller to main inputs/outputs on the behringer mixer amp as I've done with previous mixer amps such as peavey 600c and dynacord powermate.

I have attached a picture of the behringer amp.

You can see the relevant sections.                                                                     'Input to main' and and main output in the bottom right corner of the picture

I connected the outputs from the controller to the relevant 'inputs to main' on the mixer/amp and the inputs from the controller to the relevant                 'main outputs on the mixer/amp.

Also the input to main section of the behringer 1280s mixer amp seems to have a volume control knob that goes from 0 to 10 with an indent at the         5 / half way position. what is the significance  of this knob and where should it be set if using bose controller.

Thing is I'm not hearing the improvement in the sound that I would have expected as was always the case with previous set ups.

If I'm not hearing the marked sound improvement is it possible its not working and will I do damage? The controller itself is definitely working, checked with a different amp. 

Thanks

Regards

Vincent

Attachments

Hi Vincent,

brief answer:

As far as I understand this PM, it is NOT possible to correctly insert an external device - like the 802C -  between the preamp/mixer and the amplifier(s).

If you only want to use it as a power amp, then connect your (line level) source to the 802C inputs and connect the 802C outputs to the AUX IN (inputs to main) of the PM.

Please check the User Manual of the PM for additional info.

Hope this helps.

best rgds,

Thomas

Vincent,

On the DynaCord PowerMate, you could come out of the main outputs, go into the Bose Controller and come out of those and go into the Power Amp inputs. You can do the same thing with the Peavey XR600C albeit with just one channel (I run my old 402s that way). On those systems, the amplifier "breaks" the regular signal flow that usually feeds it as soon as you plug the 1/4" plug into the jack and uses the signal flow coming from the Bose Controller instead. This is true for both of these units.

This Behringer mixer on the other hand does not appear to have any direct line level amplifier inputs in the signal chain after the main output section. So, you can come out of the Main outputs to connect to the Bose Controller but you can't get the Bose Controller outputs back into the Behringer mixer.

Behringer does not appear to have any signal flow diagrams in their manual or on their website so there is no way to confirm this in a document but if you are not hearing any improvement in the sound, that is the way that it is wired.

So, you would not be able to use this mixer with your Bose controller.

It doesn't mention it in the document but you could check with the online Behringer technical department to make sure that the main output jacks are not wired to use a old style insert jack to do what you are trying to do.

1) You insert a stereo 1/4" to two mono 1/4" plug cable into the master output jack. (see attached picture)

2) you run one mono connection to the input of the controller and the other mono connection from the output of the controller (different companies wire these different ways - tip was often send and ring return but not always....

But before you try that. YOU MUST CONTACT THEIR TECHNICAL SUPPORT TEAM FIRST (capitalized intentionally) and they can tell you if it wired that way.

You can check if the controller works by coming out of the master out with a 1/4" plug into the controller and then out of the controller into a guitar amp or another amp with a speaker attached. Do it with and without the controller in line to see if the controller is functioning properly.

I see that Thomas has also replied with info as well but this was already typed so......

Let us know what you find out about the mixer so we will know in the future.

Bruce

Attachments

Photos (1)

Thanks Bruce

I have previously checked the bose controller as you suggest to check its working and yes perfectly well.......

Think I might just have to bite the bullet and get something that does work 

I have gigs to play and mouths to feed so cant afford to be without sound equipment

Thanks

Add Reply

Likes (0)

We recently updated our sign-in procedure and if you have old sign-in data cached, this can create a problem. Please:

1. Clear your browser cache and cookies
  2. Then close the browser (not just the window)
  3. Open the browser and try again
Thank you

Please make sure that your profile is up to date