L1 Compacts and Static Electricity = Bad?

I have two L1 Compacts and I get shocked everytime I remove the covers off of the base. It shoots electricity (with it being unplugged of course)from me to the unit.
Has this happened to others? With it not being turned on, is it going to cause any harm to the L1 Compacts? I can remember shorting out an old Magnavox CD Player back in the day by walking across the carpet with sock on. I pushed play on the electronic button and it zapped the CD player. Don't want that to happen again!!!
Any thoughts?
Original Post
Yes, it happens to me almost every time I remove the cover. It's static building up from the cover sliding across the plastic. I normally try to ground myself to something if possible so I don't get shocked and so I don't ruin my speaker. I'm not an engineer but to my knowledge anything with a circuit board in it doesn't like static. Any advice from the experts?
It may be a little cumbersome to do, but the other thing you can do to help protect the electronics (even though it won't prevent YOUR spark) is to get out the power cord, plug it in to the Compact -- power switch OFF -- and plug into a grounded outlet.

Then take the cover off.
I don't remember that happening to me with my Compact but I have had lots of shocks from a static charge. If the room is too dry even your clothes can stick to you. I used to use a spay can called Static Guard on my clothes. I wonder if you gave the cover a light spritz before taking it off whether that would help any? Just a suggestion...
I know this is an old thread, but I did a search before posting about this and decided to revive the topic instead.

I've had minor static shocks every time I've taken the cover off. I also see tiny blue sparks!

The compact was sitting on concrete and I was wearing rubber shoes and the static was still there.


Can anyone @ Bose give us some sort of idea how bad this is for the Compact's insides?
Happens to me a lot. It's caused when you slide the cover on/off the unit. When I first opened it you could actually hear it building up the static charge while the cover is coming off. I got into the habit of grounding myself to something when I think I'm in a dry environment because it does discharge a little shock and even though it doesn't really hurt, I don't want it to damage the Compact.
quote:
Originally posted by westell54:
Happens to me a lot. It's caused when you slide the cover on/off the unit. When I first opened it you could actually hear it building up the static charge while the cover is coming off. I got into the habit of grounding myself to something when I think I'm in a dry environment because it does discharge a little shock and even though it doesn't really hurt, I don't want it to damage the Compact.


Westell54,

It sounds like the sparks are from the cover to the plastic case. They will dissipate without a problem. Engineering thoroughly tested the L1 Compact with ESD hits to all surfaces and the most common result is that absolutely nothing happened. On some discharges an audio crackle can be heard.

We would like to assure you that this will not damage the system.

Thanks for your post.

Neil

Add Reply

Likes (0)
Having trouble signing in?

We recently updated our sign-in procedure and if you have old sign-in data cached, this can create a problem. Please:

  1. Clear your browser cache and cookies
  2. Then close the browser (not just the window)
  3. Open the browser and try again
Thank you

Please make sure that your profile is up to date
×
×
×
×