My name is Steve and I'm based in Australia where I'm an acoustic singer songwriter entertainer for 6 months of the year in the outback Kimberley region in Western Australia.
After years of singing and playing guitar with my Bose L1 Model 2, I'm looking to mix things up a bit (and give my throat a rest) by doing a DJ gig once a week - replacing one of my singing gigs and doing the occasional wedding.
I have researched these forums extensively and have become a bit lost with all the info available and conflicting points of view. So my aim of writing this post is to explain my set up and my goals and I'm hoping someone will read this and offer me some simple info as a starting point for a beginner just starting out.
* Bose L1 Model 2 with T1 Tone Match and 2 B1 Bass Units.
My DJ gigs:
* Playing to up to 200 people (but only 50 or so would be dancing) outdoors in a beer garden once a week as well as the occasional small wedding indoors.
* People will not be TOO concerned with volume or sound quality as long as it is reasonable enough for people to boogie to. Expectations will not be too high.
* I'm just dipping my toes in the water of DJing just to add an extra option for gigs. So I have no aspirations to mix and put on much of a "show". I just want a simple, affordable set up using my existing gear that will allow me to pump out songs from a playlist but also to take requests if possible.
* For now I want to make do with the existing Bose gear I have (I have read additional B1's will help) but as I'm just starting out, I want to see what I can achieve with the gear I have and if I like this kind of work, I will then look into expanding my gear.
Specific advice needed:
* What can I realistically expect from my existing Bose gear in doing this kind of DJ work?
* What sort of simple audio interface do I need to put my tunes on (e.g. a laptop? iPad? With external hard drive) I have a Macbook but would prefer to not gig with it.
* What Dj audio software to use or would iTunes be ok?
* How to connect my audio interface to my T1 Tonematch (leads or bluetooth and if leads, what connector)?
* I believe there is DJ setting on the T1 so that's all good.
Thank you for taking the time to read my post and being patient with a newbie DJ. (Maybe that could be my name...DJ Noob! haha).