PS: If I'm going to be somewhere where I know plugging into mains is not an option, I'll carry a spare set of 3 charged up 9v batteries as spares.  Have not had to use them yet.

The EBL rechargeable batteries are reliable, the company quite responsive when problems arise (I had one dead charger, one dead battery -- replaced with no fuss or expense) and are quite inexpensive -- comparable to the cost of regular alkaline batteries in the store.  I have a collection of 9v and AAA and AA 1.5v and use them often.

Original Post

Hi, Chet.

Are these the EBL batteries you are using?

EBL Fast 9V Battery Charger Individual USB Battery Charger with 5-Pack 9V Li ion Rechargeable Batteries 600mAh

"EBL 600mAh 6F22 9V lithium-ion rechargeable batteries are low self discharge. They can be charged up to 1200 times without any memory effect. Ideal batteries for fire alarms, home security devices, and professional audio and medical devices "

Thanks,

ST

Yes, ST - those are the ones.

I first chose them because of their relatively high capacity and inexpensive price -- I figured at that price, it's worth a try.  As I said earlier, I did get one 9v battery (out of 12 purchased) and one AA (out of 8 purchased) and one other charger (AA 2 position charger) that were DOA and the company immediately shipped me replacements - no questions asked.

I got the 9v batteries over a year ago on a special deal that included an 2 position charger and 8 batteries and then I got the 8 position charger to save some time.

I also use them in to power my guitars.  It came in very handy last weekend when the 9v battery in my Taylor 714CE died in the middle of a song.  I got the new battery in just in time for the big finish.

I have some of those but also some 'Keenstone' branded ones with a higher 800mAH capacity. The EBL ones have not hasd a serious workout yet but the Keenstone ones lasted very well in my Boss RC-3 looper. Unfortunately to looks like the latter are not available at present 

One of the nicest things about modern rechargeable batteries is that I can recharge them after EVERY gig and keep them topped off and worries at a minimum.

I'd suggest that another essential piece of gear would be a decent volt meter.  I can check the level of charge (voltage) of each battery that I put in my equipment and in my kit as spares for the next gig.

FYI: rechargeable batteries DO NO charge to the same voltage as Alkaline batteries -- a brand new 9v Alkaline will register about 9.2v while one my rechargeables tops out at about 8.37 volts fully charged -- but they WORK. 

The 9v battery that stopped working in my guitar last weekend was at 6v when I checked it on Sunday.

Chet posted:

FYI: rechargeable batteries DO NO charge to the same voltage as Alkaline batteries -- a brand new 9v Alkaline will register about 9.2v while one my rechargeables tops out at about 8.37 volts fully charged -- but they WORK. 

The 9v battery that stopped working in my guitar last weekend was at 6v when I checked it on Sunday.

Yup, Li-Ion PP3 batteries top out at around 4.2V per cell so that's about right. I tested my first ones with a Boss RC-3 looper and ran it until it shut down. Can't remember the exact numbers just now but it was not much over 6V. You might notice a difference in an analogue device (overdrive pedal or acoustic preamp) sooner though.

These look interesting.

Notice that you charge them via USB.

https://www.amazon.ca/ENEGON-R...alkie/dp/B07W49GM9H/

Or

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/produ...E80E6XJT18&psc=1

I like that there are lights on the side to show the charge level on the side.

The USB charging is attractive. I've got charging ports everywhere (the car, on my laptops, and portable battery banks). I've got to burn through eight new 9 V batteries sitting in a drawer before I need to try these rechargeables but I thought you might like to see these because they are 640 mAh and interesting because of the USB charging and built-in charge level indicators.  Four for the price of 5 x EBL with charger.

ST

Attachments

Photos (3)

Those are kind of cute.  I like the charge indicator built in and they seem to charge up relatively quickly.

However, it appears that the four pack only includes ONE charge cable (USB to 2 mini-USB on battery side) - so can only charge 2 at a time?

Hey Chet,

Chet posted:

Those are kind of cute.  I like the charge indicator built in and they seem to charge up relatively quickly.

However, it appears that the four pack only includes ONE charge cable (USB to 2 mini-USB on battery side) - so can only charge 2 at a time?

I noticed that too. It didn't concern me though. I have lots of those charge cables. Although I wondered if the there's something proprietary in the cable they provide. I doubt it.

ST

Add Reply

Likes (0)

We recently updated our sign-in procedure and if you have old sign-in data cached, this can create a problem. Please:

1. Clear your browser cache and cookies
  2. Then close the browser (not just the window)
  3. Open the browser and try again
Thank you

Please make sure that your profile is up to date