2 t1s for stereo

I now have 2 seperate L1 model 1 systems if i wanted to or was doing a large room with 2 L1s
& 4B1s could i run in stereo with 2 T1s
i normally use 1 L1 & 2B1s & a T1 for karaoke and find this is more than enough for most venues but now that i can run both systems could the 2 T1s be used to run in stereo? one to each L1
Original Post
I too thought of this> but if you were running a stereo signal like from a CD player you would have to put the left in one T1 & the right in the other. This would make turning up the volume for the CD player hard to do since now you are having to synchronize you hands as you turn two separate knobs. That's just my take on it.
Yea. I thought of this as well but since I use a laptop I would control volume from there
now corrections in bass and treble could be an issue with some files but still not a huge issue I havent tried this yet but I do have some larger gig's in the near future and I will share my experience and let you know if it's aa PIA
Thanks for your input
Mike
If you can easily control your volume of you DJ program on your laptop then you don't need a second T1. Just go straight out of your laptop via USB to the T1 and split the stereo signal from the T1 left and right via the main and aux outputs on the T1. The instructions for this set up are available here or on the L1 Wiki.

My only issue with doing it this way it that I can't roll off the music volume on the T1 like I can when running it to a single L1. The volume control on Ots is not user friendly but if the volume control on your laptop DJ program is user friendly, you gain nothing by running 2 T1's.
quote:
If you can easily control your volume of you DJ program on your laptop then you don't need a second T1. Just go straight out of your laptop via USB to the T1 and split the stereo signal from the T1 left and right via the main and aux outputs on the T1. The instructions for this set up are available here or on the L1 Wiki.

I also have two L1's and hooked them up as stated above to mt Tonematch but have to control the volume for each one seperate (master and ch 3/4), cant I just get a 1/4 inch Y and run it out of the master to feed both L1's? anyone see any problem with that?
quote:
Originally posted by MrOctober:
...I also have two L1's and hooked them up as stated above to ... Tonematch but have to control the volume for each one seperate (master and ch 3/4), cant I just get a 1/4 inch Y and run it out of the master to feed both L1's? anyone see any problem with that?
If you take a Y out of the Master to each L1, then you are only getting a mono signal to both L1's.

The configuration information in the L1 Wiki is to provide STEREO (distinct Left & Right signals) out of the T1. The T1's Master is a mono signal (as is the Aux); the only means to get stereo out of the T1 is to configure the T1 so that only the incoming Left signal is routed to one output (e.g.: Master output) and the Right incoming signal is routed to the other output (e.g.: Aux output).

If you have followed the setup information in the Wiki, but then use a "Y" from the Master output, you will only be getting 1/2 of your Stereo input (e.g.: Left).
I would not consider investing in 2 T1's just to do stereo with my OTS laptop set up. Instead, I'll do the following with the hope Bose (or someone else) will eventually come out with a stereo T1 or the equivalent of a T1 for DJ's.

I normally do stereo (2 L1 Model 1's) with a sound card into a Mackie 402-VLZ3 Compact Audio Mixer and save my T1 for single L1 applications (the vast majority of my gigs). The little Mackie sounds great but after hearing what the T1 can do, one can get spoiled.

It may not be worth the aggravation but, to use the T1 in a double L1 stereo application, I'm considering running USB into a sound card (Echo Indigo or Fast Track Pro) and then out Left and Right into the T1 (Similar to the recommended USB set up but with 2 ¼” jacks) and then out Left and Right via Main and Auxiliary to 2 L1's.

This would allow me the ability to roll the music volume up and down with the dial on the sound card and control the mics on the T1.

I would have to play with the settings on the T1 to get the balance just right and then make a note of the dial positions and save the scene for quick recall at the gig.
If you use 2 T1's for stereo and control the level from your computer/sound card/ mixer or other device you will upset the gain structure and the input gain trim on the T1's will have to be corrected for every level adjustment you make, so you are back to using 2 hands agiain and defeating the object of the exercise.
Hi Eric'sson,

I am glad you joined the forum.

quote:
Originally posted by Eric'sson:
If you use 2 T1's for stereo and control the level from your computer/sound card/ mixer or other device you will upset the gain structure and the input gain trim on the T1's will have to be corrected for every level adjustment you make, so you are back to using 2 hands again and defeating the object of the exercise.

With a Computer via USB

If you use the T1® as the soundcard (running Computer → USB → T1®) then there are no issues with the gain structure. You are not using the T1® analog input trims.

Analog Connection Source (e.g. analog mixer)

I normally set the T1® input trims while running the sound source at the maximum output I will use during performance. That way I can adjust the source output without having to adjust the T1® input trims.
quote:
Originally posted by ST:
Hi Eric'sson,

I am glad you joined the forum.

Hi ST, thanks for the welcome message.

quote:
With a Computer via USB

If you use the T1® as the soundcard (running Computer → USB → T1®) then there are no issues with the gain structure. You are not using the T1® analog input trims.

Haven't tried the T1 as a soundcard yet, how does it compare to other quality soundcards, is it ASIO?

quote:
Analog Connection Source (e.g. analog mixer)

I normally set the T1® input trims while running the sound source at the maximum output I will use during performance. That way I can adjust the source output without having to adjust the T1® input trims.

That's backwards logic at work, good thinking I'll give that one a try if I ever move up to 2 L1's. My problem with stereo is the vocals, I'm a singer and use mp3 backing tracks via laptop and a little concerned about the vocals suffering from cancellation being centred in a stereo mix.

I've only just got my first L1 with 4 B1's,2 TI's (need the additonal channels) and have not had the chance to try the system at a large venue yet. I'm pretty sure that one stick is not going to be enough and the only way I can see to get over the vocal problem would be to go for 3 L1's sending a mono vocal mix to the centre one but that's out or the question at the moment as finances will not permit until I've decide whether to keep my conventional PA system for the larger venues or not.
Hi Eric'sson,

ASIO
quote:
Haven't tried the T1 as a soundcard yet, how does it compare to other quality soundcards, is it ASIO?

I don't know - but tell me how I could find out for you - is there some easy way to tell?

Both the Mac and PC (XP or Vista) just recognize it as a Bose Audio device. I haven't needed to install any special drivers.

Now for Vocals and Tracks.

I would just run the tracks in stereo across two L1®s and put the vocals, mono into one of the L1®s. If I were standing off-centre, then I'd put the vocals into the L1® closest to me.

Unless you have the L1®s at some considerable distance apart, there won't be much difference running the vocal into one or two L1®s. If they are more than 20-50 feet apart, then you probably won't noticeable phase issues anyway. 20-50 feet is the minimum recommended distance for running dual mono.

Reference: Phase Cancellation in the wiki.
Hi ST, thanks again for the response.

quote:
Originally posted by ST:

ASIO

I don't know - but tell me how I could find out for you - is there some easy way to tell?

Both the Mac and PC (XP or Vista) just recognize it as a Bose Audio device. I haven't needed to install any special drivers.

ASIO is the professional standard for input/output devices, all of the best sound cards are ASIO and require the ASIO driver to be installed on the computer system.

Actually I don't think the T1 has an on board sound card, it is purely a digital mixer and relies on the computers own sound card and that's not good as computers generally do not come with a professional quality sound card built in. I might be wrong but there is no mention of built in sound card in the manual just the interface to connect via USB.

quote:
[b]Now for Vocals and Tracks.

I would just run the tracks in stereo across two L1®s and put the vocals, mono into one of the L1®s........

Yes I agree and have already considered this although it's a bit of a logistics problem trying to connect it all up and making it easy to control with the limited number of ins/outs on the T1.

I have 2 T1's and have to connect:

Inputs from 2 mic's, stereo from laptop (mp3's), stereo return from effects unit and I would also have to use an Aux channel as a send to the effects unit.

Which ever way I hook it up I have no master control over stereo inputs or outputs without using another mixer and that's what I'm trying to get away from.....too much clutter!
Thanks for the info ST
I must have missed that article, it's very useful to know and I'll have a play around with it but if I went along that route I'd have to lose my Denon DN-X900 DJ mixer which is connected via the DN-HC4500 controller.

Mmm...mmm back to the drawing board.
Hi all,

I'd like to offer some clarification that may or may not help. Sound cards, including the T1, depend upon 'drivers' to do what they do. ASIO/WDM/MME aren't really drivers, but driver access protocols. ASIO usually results in the lowest amount of round-trip latency (all things being equal) because, unlike the others, it bypasses the operating system (e.g. Windows) kernel...

FWIW, I have used the T1 very successfully for recording and playback with SONAR 8 PE on my PC using WDM and ASIO. I got the best results (lowest lantency, fewest dropouts, etc.) using ASIO4all. Given the zillions of variables among hardware configs, operating systems, etc., your mileage may vary. I think it's worth stating that the T1 excels as an interface for an L1 system and though it happens to work great as a basic sound card (record/playback/re-amp, etc.), there are lots of soundcards out there that do more than these basics. Their value, in my experience, is commensurate with their pricetag...

'Hope this helps...

Chuck

Add Reply

Likes (0)
Having trouble signing in?

We recently updated our sign-in procedure and if you have old sign-in data cached, this can create a problem. Please:

1. Clear your browser cache and cookies
  2. Then close the browser (not just the window)
  3. Open the browser and try again
Thank you

Please make sure that your profile is up to date