L1 Model II

Let's talk about the L1® Portable Line Array Systems

Using proprietary Bose® technology, L1 systems combine  PA and monitors into a single, highly portable unit. The  loudspeaker can be positioned behind or to the side —and you hear what the audience hears.

Highly portable PA and monitor combined for solo performers, DJs and general-purpose use. Fixed vertical control with 180° horizontal coverage Reduced vulnerability to feedback.

Three systems to choose from (Compact, Model 1S, Model II)
Two passive bass module options (B1 or B2)
Consistent coverage and tonal balance, portability and easy setup.

Hello, It's my understanding that Bose no longer offers service for my old model. My unit works just fine except for worsening feedback issues. I'm hoping there is someone who knows of someone who will work on these older units.  If it was in my area that would be perfect.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Original Post

Hi royl,

Typical feedback issues would not be a "serviceable issue". Most feedback occurs because of eq, volume, or placement of the system vs instruments or mics.

Describe your use, what you have connected to the L1, venue size, shape, anything that might affect or fall within the dispersion of sound from the L1.

O..

Well I'm not a technical guy I've just been using it for 15 years. The unit is only used occasionally as many of the venues we play provide the pa. It started maybe five years ago. We rolled off highs and tried using the parametric to eliminate the offending frequencies. I took the unit to a local service tech. I believe they only cleaned the unit. I'm sure it needed that and the feedback issue seemed better for a time. Since then it's gotten worse. My band mate is a tech guy who had a feedback suppressor that would isolate the offending frequencies. We hoped that would work but for some reason it actually did the opposite. The last time we used the unit it was totally unacceptable. We use the unit for vocals only...two mics and most of the time we're are at least 6 to 8 feet away from the unit with the mics.

@Oldghm posted:

Hi royl,

Describe in detail exactly what is happening. When it starts, what you do to stop it.

O.. 

Oldghm,

The feedback is intermittent. We set the unit up and we're fine then at some time it will start. Early on we were able to take highs down and maybe try a notch with the parametric but the problem slowly got worse. I believe when it got to the point the signal level was fading in and out along with feedback we gave up on babying it along! 

Hi royl,

If the "feedback" is not controllable by adjusting tone or volume controls on an out board mixer, then the noise you are hearing is likely not "feedback" as we would normally think of, especially if it happens with different pieces of out board equipment over a period of time.

There may be other causes for an intermittent squeal.

You mentioned using a parametric. If you could describe all the equipment in the signal chain with the L1 that might be helpful.

Just to be sure, the L1 you have is the one with the wired hand held remote that controls channel 1 and channel 2???? Either a Classic Or Model I???

If that is correct, are you using the remote?

O..

Hi royl,

There are many lightly used Classics still in operation, but more than a few have failed and there is no authorized Bose service available for them. To my knowledge there are no schematics available for techs, so anyone working on one would be on his or her own.

If the problem is internal about the only thing you can do yourself is try for a system reset.

If you have not already, and you have the remote I would at least try to start the unit with just the remote in place and attempt to adjust the available parameters with it. If one end doesn't work or make changes, try the other.

If you have been using the remote all along, then remove it and start it up. Try without the remote.

I don't recall details, but I seem to remember some anomaly that occurred with certain systems related to the remote. Could be bad memory on my part, but worth a try.

If the unit has truly failed I'm sorry to hear that and wish you luck finding someone qualified to tear into it.

O..

a great solution would be for Bose just to service the classics.  I'll never use anything else.  My model 2 is gathering much dust.  I use my two classics and should they go down, I'd pay well to have them serviced.  If you've never used a Classic, you don't know how good life can be !

Unfortunately modern circuit boards are really not designed to be repaired. Production is automated, components are tiny. When production of a Model like the Classic is stopped it no longer makes sense to perpetually make the boards needed for service.

There are small specialty shops that have capable techs, but without the schematics it requires some special understanding and trouble shooting skills to find and repair the failures. 

O..

Add Reply

We recently updated our sign-in procedure and if you have old sign-in data cached, this can create a problem. Please:

1. Clear your browser cache and cookies
  2. Then close the browser (not just the window)
  3. Open the browser and try again
Thank you

Please make sure that your profile is up to date
Link copied to your clipboard.