Technical Questions & Issues

Click any model below to learn more

Click any model below to learn more F1 Model 812 F1 Subwoofer B1 Bass ModuleB1 Bass ModuleL1 Model I / ClassicL1 Model IIL1 Model 1SL1 CompactS1 Pro system T4S ToneMatch mixerT8S ToneMatch mixerT1 ToneMatch audio engineA1 PackLite AmpB2 Bass ModuleImage Map

L1 & MB4??

Just wondering probably a dumb question but can I use an MB4 instead of two bass units? This system looks like 2 x MA12's stacked on top of each other with an MB4 chopped in half. So just wondering rather than getting 2 Bass units, can I just use an MB4? Cheers, HimyRead More...
Hmmm, I thought I read absolutely EVERY reply to every thread! Sorry about that... My question has been answered - cheersRead More...

Why does it sound so good from behind the PAS, too?

Last night as I was paying for my 2 towers and 3 subs and arranging for parts to get shipped in from neighboring GC's, one of the salespeople started demoing the floor model to a guy who wanted to hear what it sounded like with a keyboard. It was 5 minutes before closing time and crappy weather outside, so there were very few customers in the store, none of them making any noise, and the salesman turned off the ambient noise of other PA systems and DJ demos and videos and stuff. This GC is...Read More...
*tap foot* Well? We're WAITING! I mean, if anyone can figure out how to make an infinitely thin sound source, you guys can, right? Don't disappoint! Thanks for the response. I figured it was really doing better than just a 180-degree dispersion field. --------- Hourglass http://www.hourglassband.comRead More...

Bottom of the L1 Base

johnnyo
I play all the usual dirty places to make a living playing music and I noticed the botom of the unit is getting a little scratched up. I think it needs some feet or rubber baby bumpers on the bottom to protect it from the bar floor swill that is often there. I won't save much time with this system if I have to mop before I set up! LOL Just a thought......... Live free play free be freeRead More...
I just got back from the Home Depot with a couple 4 packs of “Magic Sliders”. These are made to put under heavy furniture and appliances, they are 60mm disk with an adhesive. I’ve used these on a heavy computer desk and every bookshelf in the house. They are very slick and as their ad says “they won’t scratch your floors”, things really slide easily, almost like casters. (Not that I would ever be “caught” sliding my PAS). These are rated up to 2500 pounds and might be what you’re looking...Read More...

speaker placement

knowing that these speakers are designed to be set up behind the performer. And also knowing that with the base on the L1 it can only get maybe about 15"from a wall. If the L1's (2) used as a pa, seem to deliver more bass if they were put in corners, or even as close to a back wall as one could get with the ps1 stand? more bass per say than the speaker more in an open area with it still being behind the performer. Also what would be the effect of bass response from a L1' B1 system with the...Read More...
wfs, For me, I'd start with an aesthetically pleasing location, probably place the PS1 in the corners with the B1 on the inside. From there, try different locations of the B1 as you see and hear fit. Remember that if you need to use a longer B1 cable, purchase a 4-wire Speakon cable. Good luck with the secondary use! [This message was edited by Kyle-at-Bose on Tue January 13 2004 at 09:38 AM.]Read More...

Can you do this?

OK I admit I’m lazy, if there is anything I can do to save time at load out, I’ll do it. Sometimes on multi band gigs tearing down quickly is a must. I was wondering if there would be any ill effects on leaving the amp base in its gig bag. Could one just unzip the cover, insert the cylinders, hook up and go? Would this cause overheating? I’m not so lazy that I would do anything to jeopardize the health of my PAS. Thanks, ChuckRead More...
Sorry... Sometimes drinking and thinking doesn't render the best results... ChuckRead More...

Bass Frequencies?

Can any one tell me where the frequency response of the bass module starts and ends? Does the bass module only have low frequencies or does it also project low-mids?Read More...
Along with playing wind controller I took up the electric bass about a year ago. For the bass I have an Ashdown ABM 500 C210, a truly great bass amp, but for fun I plugged in a Fender Precision to the PAS. The sound was incredible; the only thing the Ashdown adds is the tube pre-amp warmth. Kramster try the Dark Cello patch toward the end of the first bank on the Turbo chip, dial in a little mid’s on the remote and prepare to rattle the walls! From piccolo to double bass, I’ve never had a...Read More...

No Control From Remote

I've had my system for over two weeks. Worked great out of the box on my first gig with it. Have transported it three times. I finally got to set the system up in my basement, was in the process of getting an electric bass volume after setting my vocal mic level and the remote stopped working. I reseated the cable several times in every combination, rebooted the base unit each time to no avail. The remote shows signal on the channel LEDs, I have volume through the unit, just not remote...Read More...
For the record, my replacement of the L1 was handled efficienty by Corry at the Seattle Guitar Center. I was in and out in less than 20 minutes. Thanks again to Hilmar and Tim W. Great customer service, especially given the holiday season.Read More...

Rehersal Space

Just received my new System: 1 Radiator and 1 Sub and it sounds GREAT! Can't wait to try it out on New Years Eve gig. A problem for me is that the ceiling in my rehersal room is shorter than the height of the tower. Can I reherse with just the lower half of the radiator?Read More...
Hi Bobby V I once played a gig with a very low acoustic-tile ceiling using the original 8' prototype. I simply popped up the ceiling tile under the system and set it up. Can you do this in your room? Like, is there a vent or something? My guess is that you won't have any problem acoustically. Are you Bobby Vinton? Just checking.Read More...

Acoustic Bass Hookup

The pickup on my bassist's instrument is a 1/4" jack which connects to a bass amp. There's a XLR line out of the preamp which I used to connect the bass to channel 2 of the PAS. Is this the correct method of connecting the bass? I was hoping there was a way to go direct from the pickup to the PAS, but I'm thinking that if I run the bass pickup into channel 3/4, then I'm not taking advantage of preset #50 for the bass. By the way, the bass sounded great!! My bass player is a bit modest, and...Read More...
Feedback with acoustic basses can happen occasianally, although its not very frequent. Its not easy to diagnose because there is a large variety pickup systems and mounting schemes out there. Please try it with the preset and, if the problem persists, experiment a little with placement of the bass relative to the Personalized Amplification System(tm) setup. Keep posting if you keep having trouble and we can go into more details. Hope that helps HilmarRead More...

CD into PAS Ch 3/4 blasts too loud

I do a solo Sinatra gig using backing tracks. I use a Sony MXD-D3 CD/minidisc deck to play the tracks. The first time I tried the PAS, with the deck into channels 3/4, the deck volume was WAY louder than the mic. Fortunately, the Sony deck has a setting to decrease the analog out signal. In order to get a balance between mic and the backing tracks, I have to lower the analog out by 20 dBs and set the trims on channels 3/4 of the PAS at 1/4 full position. Then I run the mic (Shure 55SH) at...Read More...
No problem. It sounds like the Sony is capable of a +4dB (professional) level output (not sure what that relates to in 'Aout dBs'). Where normally this type of level (+4dB) is used in balanced connections, your deck seems to allow for a wide range of output level.Read More...

Brand new stand, just had a spike.

I received my replacement power stand yesterday afternoon after very quick response to my post, and a few minuets ago it spiked. Any thoughts?Read More...
Evan, It sounds like we need to dig deeper into your problem. I believe that we stil have your information. Someone (off holiday) will be contacting you ASAP. We apologize for the problem that you are having.Read More...

FX into channel one and two?

The vocalist in my group uses channel one for his mic, and channel two for guitar. If I have a reverb unit hooked up to the channel one effects return, can channel two also be wired to use the same processor? Or do I definately need a mixer? thanks, azRead More...
We've had that problem also with some processors. They just add way too much noise to an otherwise clean system.Read More...

FOH balance

Jinro80, Let me answer the question above, maybe that's what you really are looking for. Yes, the FOH mix is the stage mix ... there is only one mix. That is one of the wonderful things that this approach to amplified performance allows. If you have a sound person, or are the player/sound person, you now are really working on "sound" not wiring and hardware. Now each player can play knowing the mix, not in their monitor cocoon. It's really a lot more fun if you ask me. It takes a little...Read More...

2 towers one sub

just curious, not necessarily for playing out live. but if one bought two systems. the first consistong of 1 L1 and 1 B1. and the second consisting of just 1 L1. if one wanted to run prerecorded material through the system such as cd's. could both amp 3 outs be connected to the one sub so any bass content in the center of the mix would be fed to the sub from both channels of the cd. in a live situation i would not run stereo, but if needed i could use the one system with the sub, and then...Read More...
not to worry kyle, i tried nothing of the sort. was just curious. and the second explanation was better.Read More...

First gig reults

Not sure this entire post should appear in the section, but it is a follow-up. Well thanks to Ken, and Tony who I got a chance to talk with, I had excellent information and advice going into the gig this past weekend. I was armed with a guitarist point of view (Tony) to share with our guitarist. "Let the system work for you" and TURN YOUR AMP DOWN. In summary, it was, and continues to be a tough sell. The direct into the system certainly went over like a cement-filled ballon, but even the...Read More...
Direct out will not sound nearly as good as a speaker. The speaker is as important (if not more) than the amplifier. People are getting excellent results with PODs and other modeling amps into the Bose system, but I like to use a tube amp with a mic on it. With an amp I recommend using the Weber "Beam blocker" which goes between the speaker and the grill cloth and it keeps the beaminess of the amp out of the audiences' and other musicians' ears. Even with the beam blocker it's best to keep...Read More...

Setup Suggestion wanted

I just purchased 3 of the Personalized Amplification System and would like suggestions on how to set this up for a 200 member congregation church that meets out of a hotel. Let me say that my initial opinion on this product is very good. We plugged these guys up at our office and it sounded excellent. The real proving ground would at the hotel ballroom. Room size: 50'X 30' Band: Elec. Bass, 5 piece Drums, Keys + voc, 2 back ground vocals, 2 Ac guitar and one main vocal. This will be an...Read More...
Hi Eddie, I'm delighted and thanks for hanging with it. Stay in touch. I have a feeling you've got some forum fans here -- folks that are following your story.Read More...

Small Stage Setup

I play in a five piece club band that frequently sets up on small stages, but we have to play to large rooms. This means everyone is close and the drummer sets up right against the back wall in order for a singer to be able to stand in front of them. With it's distance requirements, how can the Bose system work in a situation like this?Read More...
We tested the system this way, with a seven piece. We uses three systems and it was one of the best gigs we did in the testing phase. Also, many of your fellow musicians are already doing this as you can read on various parts of the forum. You want to get at least three feet away from the speakers, something that is possible even on small stages. If you send in details about your band -- looking at them from the audience, describe the instrumentation/vox from left to right, we'll help you...Read More...

Pre System Arrival - Set-up Planning

Greetings: We are a four member Blues Band, I as the drummer and our Bass player have purchased systems on the faith of the website and forum information. So sight unseen (no test run!)we have each purchased the double bass systems. It just seemed and sounded like the way to go for all the reasons mentioned in the marketing information and test groups feedback. Our lead guitar has from time to time been way too loud, particularly as the night goes on! He will religiously ask me after a set...Read More...
Okay on the guitar. He's got a twin so he's probably just going to mic it. The key here is to remember that all that backline sound out into the audience is damaging the mix (often beyond repair) so he's got to turn down. If you put his sound into an L1 he will be able to hear himself really well AND not need huge amounts of volume. If it is a newer twin he can crank up the channel volume and keep the master down to get nice distortion. Use the effects pedals as normal (sounds like they are...Read More...

microphone feedback

I recieved my system last last week (4 subs and 2 towers). We tried it last Saturday 12/5 @ a 400 people X'mas party. I am very pleased with the clarity and crispness of the sound. I do however, get a bad case of mic feedback. We separated the towers bout 10 feet from each other. We are using 2 sm58 beta. Running it via a vocopro mixing board. We stand smack in the middle of both towers and about 2 feet infront. Can you get us a suggestion on placement. I am thinking of placing the towers...Read More...
Holiday Greetings, damuzikman52 From your post, it sounds like you are in a musical duo. I would like to hear more about your instruments and show. Here are my suggestions based on your info so far: 1. By all means place the systems behind you. This way you can hear your own "mix" as it goes to your audience. This is one of the most important benefits of our system. It puts you, your partner and your audience in the same sound field. So you hear and control what everyone hears. Personally,...Read More...
Last Reply By colcliff-at-bose · First Unread Post

Connecting 3 bass modules?

Is it possible to connect 3 bass modules together with 2 main floor units? My drummer and I have 3 bass units and want to put them together. In the manual it doesn't show odd numbered bass setups.Read More...
Unfortunately the answer is no. There is no direct way to share bass modules and power amps across systems. Here is a thing you could try to get more punch for the kick: Run from either the Line Out or better the Effects Send (half inserted 1/4" cable) from the Kick drum channel of the power stand into Channel 2 of your power stand (I'm assuming you are not using that). Use the same preset as on the original power stand but roll off mids and highs on the remote. That may allow you to just...Read More...

Double Bass Speaker Placement

What is the sonic benefit of the B1's being stacked sideways vs. upright side-by-side? I can "feel/hear" a slight difference, but my mind has played tricks on me in the past. A little clarity would be nice.Read More...
Here is our experience with stacking B1s For two B1s it really doesn't make much of a difference. We always stack two on top of each other because its mechanically nice and stable and takes up less floor space. For the "sixpack" there is an apreciable difference between a 2x3 and 1x6 onfiguration. At this point its not clear whether one is "better" than the other. However, PLEASE DO NOT STACK 6 B1 on top of each other without some additional mechanical features to secure the stack. It if...Read More...

No highs?

I have read on the forum and heard first-hand from a friend of mine that people are having trouble with the highs (lack of) in new systems. I just this past Thursday set up my brand-new L1 (my second), and also experienced a "no-highs" moment. The I decided to futz around with the presets, and, lo and behold, the highs were there, along with everything else. There may be some weird anomaly in packing and shipping, so before you send back the top half of your column, try messing with the...Read More...
You are very welcome. You might want to try using the presets 21 or 22 with your acoustic guitar as they are specifically designed to deal with the elevated mids typical for piezo pick up systems. Using the wireless is a great idea. So you can explore the stage & audience area at your leisure. Good luck with your real-life evaluation and let us know how things are going.Read More...

Input questions

Hello, I just read through the manual and have some questions about the inputs. I am using a Metric Halo ULN-2 preamp. All my instruments and a computer (via firewire) plug into the preamp. I would prefer to connect the balanced line outs of this into inputs 1 and 2 rather than inputs 3 and 4 so that I can have remote control of those inputs. I have a choice of using balanced TRS or balanced XLR connectors to the L1. 1. Is there any problem connecting a preamp to these inputs? 2. The manual...Read More...
Thanks Hilmar! I'd already used your suggestion and the system works wonderfully! I was just trying to make sure I was getting my gain staging as close to optimal as possible, but you're right-USE YOUR EARS! They've yet to let me down. Thanks! John›Read More...

Karaoke and Band Applications

merrio
Greetings, I am on the verge of buying atleast one system (bass module included.) However, I am a little taken back by the fact that the system appears to be mono in nature. The salesman began his sales pitch by saying that the system is the same technology as the waveradio advertised on television. Correct if I am wrong, but isn't the waveradio a stereo? My Karaoke player is stereo and so are the tracks. However, channel 1 and 2 appear to be mono plugins. The salesman had only the left...Read More...
Merrio, Great to hear you picked up a system. In the store did you try the double bass or single base setup in your comparison? Ooops, I'm supposed to answer you questions, not ask mine ... sorry. 1) Okay, The mic EQ's are a matter of taste. Try them all and see what you like best. 2) If I had two systems and two bass modules, I'd run two bass modules through one system and stack them one on top of the other. Since bass frequencies tend to be hard to localize on (your ears can't find their...Read More...

We recently updated our sign-in procedure and if you have old sign-in data cached, this can create a problem. Please:

1. Clear your browser cache and cookies
  2. Then close the browser (not just the window)
  3. Open the browser and try again
Thank you

Please make sure that your profile is up to date