Technical Questions & Issues

Click any model below to learn more

Click any model below to learn more F1 Model 812 F1 Subwoofer B1 Bass ModuleB1 Bass ModuleL1 Model I / ClassicL1 Model IIL1 Model 1SL1 CompactS1 Pro system T4S ToneMatch mixerT8S ToneMatch mixerT1 ToneMatch audio engineA1 PackLite AmpB2 Bass ModuleImage Map

No highs?

I have read on the forum and heard first-hand from a friend of mine that people are having trouble with the highs (lack of) in new systems. I just this past Thursday set up my brand-new L1 (my second), and also experienced a "no-highs" moment. The I decided to futz around with the presets, and, lo and behold, the highs were there, along with everything else. There may be some weird anomaly in packing and shipping, so before you send back the top half of your column, try messing with the...Read More...
You are very welcome. You might want to try using the presets 21 or 22 with your acoustic guitar as they are specifically designed to deal with the elevated mids typical for piezo pick up systems. Using the wireless is a great idea. So you can explore the stage & audience area at your leisure. Good luck with your real-life evaluation and let us know how things are going.Read More...

Input questions

Hello, I just read through the manual and have some questions about the inputs. I am using a Metric Halo ULN-2 preamp. All my instruments and a computer (via firewire) plug into the preamp. I would prefer to connect the balanced line outs of this into inputs 1 and 2 rather than inputs 3 and 4 so that I can have remote control of those inputs. I have a choice of using balanced TRS or balanced XLR connectors to the L1. 1. Is there any problem connecting a preamp to these inputs? 2. The manual...Read More...
Thanks Hilmar! I'd already used your suggestion and the system works wonderfully! I was just trying to make sure I was getting my gain staging as close to optimal as possible, but you're right-USE YOUR EARS! They've yet to let me down. Thanks! John›Read More...

Karaoke and Band Applications

merrio
Greetings, I am on the verge of buying atleast one system (bass module included.) However, I am a little taken back by the fact that the system appears to be mono in nature. The salesman began his sales pitch by saying that the system is the same technology as the waveradio advertised on television. Correct if I am wrong, but isn't the waveradio a stereo? My Karaoke player is stereo and so are the tracks. However, channel 1 and 2 appear to be mono plugins. The salesman had only the left...Read More...
Merrio, Great to hear you picked up a system. In the store did you try the double bass or single base setup in your comparison? Ooops, I'm supposed to answer you questions, not ask mine ... sorry. 1) Okay, The mic EQ's are a matter of taste. Try them all and see what you like best. 2) If I had two systems and two bass modules, I'd run two bass modules through one system and stack them one on top of the other. Since bass frequencies tend to be hard to localize on (your ears can't find their...Read More...

Ordering Two Bass Modules

Hi all! I'm trying to find a way to order two extra Bass Modules to "finish out" my two L1/B1 systems. I can't find an option on the Bose website that'll allow me to purchase just the Bass Modules without the Base/Cylindrical Radiator. Am I overlooking something or is there a way to order only the Bass Modules? Any help will be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks! JohnRead More...
The bass module can be purchased as an “accessory” to any of the systems. I’ll take you there if you click here Or you can navigate there on you own by going: www.bose.com/musicians, then Product Details, then Basic system, then Accessories (in the light blue bar above the L1 picture - many people don’t see this navigation, something we’re working on fixing for January). Scroll down a bit to see the B1 Once on the page, you should be able to see the B1 right below the picture of the L1. Just...Read More...

base unbit case?

Just got mine and am very excited... just got back from a 6 day roadtrip and man, are we ready for a simpler (more musical life). Going through all the boxes, quick question: is there a carrying case or cover for the base unit? Everything else zips up nicely but I think this base unit is going to get dinged fast without a case?Read More...
thankyou for the clarification. yes, i did receive all the boxes. I just havent opened the case one yet, as im using the boxes to transport my system while i evaluate it on my trial period. If i decide to return it, the covers would not have been opened at all. one less thing to worry about getting stained or somethin by accident during trial. wenesday i will be going to a venue that seats apprx 300 in a old movie theatre. the theatre will be empty, but i am looking forward to the room to...Read More...

Setup for large Auditorium

Ken, We are the Southern Gospel Quartet in Austin that you have been helping (HisWay). We are getting along great but I need help with another deal. We are friends with another quartet and they want to try our system (2 PAS's and two Bass Modules). We will gladly do this but I have a some concerns. (First let me tell you that cost is not a big issue with them so if they like it they will buy whatever is needed. Their current system cost $16,000 but they are tired of the physical labor of...Read More...
Hello goboomers, Sorry I'm late getting back to you. I read your post when if first came in, somehow fooled myself into thinking I'd answered it, then got a tickler from Kyle this morning saying I hadn't. So here goes. - Yes, leave out the keyboards and bass for the test. - Yes, a two speaker test will tell you and them what they need to know. - I don't think the room is too big. I also think you will hear really excellent clarity because so little sound will go up into that very high...Read More...

Presets 1.0 exposed!! (actually, explained)

colcliff-at-bose
Presets 1.0(!!!) Both inputs 1 and 2 employ 99 “presets”, which are predetermined signal processing combinations (mostly equalization) that allow personalized system adjustments to be made easily, depending on the artistic preferences of each player. Most of these were developed by ear, simply by making each instrument sound is most attractive through the Personlaized Amplification System™. You should audition these, at home or in rehearsal before you perform, and see how they enhance the...Read More...

Broken door

Hi folks...having wonderful experiences with PAS, I now own 2...my problem is that a tab broke off the door that covers the controls on the base, a small problem to be sure, can be fixed with tape or something, have you encountered this before?Can I get another door? Thanks much, RonRead More...
Ronjazz, It looks like my email was interpreted as spam . Can you post your phone number? I'll contact you and delete the post before the public sees it. Thanks.Read More...

Question about the remote

If I make changes on the PS1 settings (either the preset switches or the level controls) are these reflected in knobs on the remote? And also are changes on the remote reflected in the knobs on the PS1? If not, how does the remote work? Are changes on the remote knobs relative to the current PS1 setting or absolute?Read More...
Excellent. As it should be. Thanks.Read More...

How hot does it get?

How hot does the base get if it's left on a long time. Is it OK to set it on a carpet or rug in a home or studio and not worry about damage cause by heat under the base? Is there an auto-standby mode if the input signal goes quiet after a period of time so that it can just be left on when not being used?Read More...
Hi dbudde, The Power Stand draws approximately 700mA during an idle condition. I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other questions. KyleRead More...

Help! Need detailed info on "EQ presets" for ch 1/2

I purchased the very first PAS system to arrive in Seattle. I bought a single PAS w/ bass module which I use for my single act. First of all the system is simply incredable! More details to come in future writings. I need your assistance in two areas: I tried playing my PRS Hollowbody electric through a DigiTech DI stompbox. The sound was thin & nothing like what I'm used to hearing through my Mesa Boogie Nomad 100 single 12". My musician friends loved the vocals & acoustic guitar...Read More...
Howard, The best thing to do is a "shootout" with your Digitech, a POD, the new little Korg, and any other modeling amps you can borrow or use for a few hours. Get the best sound you can find on each of these units, then compare them side-by-side to see which sounds best. Then take the one that sounds best and compare it to your Mesa with a mic on it. Keep this in mind when you play in a band situation; the big fat guitar sound from your Mesa may sound great by itself, but just as in a...Read More...

Church Setup

Ken, our quartet tried out the PAS's in a church yesterday. This church is building a new, sizeable building. One guy attending yesterday was on the committe that selected the accoustical design company and had a lot of input on the system they are getting. And, of course, now he is thinking: whoops! He is struggling with the question of should he reopen the subject on sound systems. Can you image the discussions that would have to take place? :-) The roof and exterior walls are up but I...Read More...
Hi Bob, I think your concern is really valid. Our Professional Systems Division works with acoustical design companies all the time. In fact before the Personalized Amplification System, 99% of the division's work was doing custom installations, often in collaboration with design firms. So no problem here. What I suggest is that you arrange a proper introduction of the new live music system to the firm. We have support staff in your area that can help make this happen. If this is an...Read More...

How should we set up?

We are a southern gospel quartet (TTBB). We use accompaniment CD tracs and augment those with a digital piano. We have 2 PAS systems with 2 bass modules. How should we set up? Also, Im confused about a couple of specific things. Most of our CD tracs are dual mono although their are a few stereo tracs. I know you say not to put the same sound through 2 speakers, so since our tracs are dual mono do we just run the CD player through one system? Or do we do a right and left with the dual mono on...Read More...
Send me another post with your email address; I'll keep the post private and send you my mailing address. Can't wait to hear your group.Read More...

Lack of Bass Volume

I just got 2 PAS systems with 2 Bass Modules. I have it set up in my studio (15' x 20') I can verify that the Bass Modules are on by putting my ear up close to them. I'm playing backing tracs that are used by a Southern Gospel male quartet. I don't want rock bass levels but I need something that is like current country. However, I am just not hearing much bass. By comparison, my Mackie HR824 studio monitors have more bass even with the sub turned off. I just think that something is wrong.Read More...
Hmm. I'm always nervous about problems that fix themselves. I'm delighted that it sounds normal now. I'll assume that you're off to the races unless we hear back from you. (Thanks for the compliment on the forum. It's incredible for us too, because we have such a good sense of what the early issues are with the product. These conversations will get packaged so that your colleagues in music that adopt later will have an easier time of it. I guess this is one of the benefits of being a...Read More...

Digital Out

hummerstack
Hi, I see the manual shows a digital out rca jack for chan 1/2. Is this active and can I use it to drive the digital in on my echo mona recording device?Read More...
I'm not 100% sure of the bit depth on the SPDIF output. I believe it is 24 bits. I know our outputs are standard SPDIF. Maybe Kyle knows. For sure Hilmar does. He's in Germany until the week after next. He may get online over there and see this post. Otherwise he'll answer as soon as he gets back.Read More...

Help With Our Setup

Ok, Our church band has 3 of the PAS systems now. We are running the following through a Mackie mixer. 4 mics, 1 guitar, 1 bass, 1 keyboard, 1 drums, and 2 wireless mics for the priests. Our soundboard has two XLR outputs and 4 1/4" outputs. Yesterday, we ran XLR output to one PAS, the other XLR output to another PAS and then tried to "daisy chain" one of the PAS systems to the third one by using the line out function into the third system. This caused a minor problem as the sound coming out...Read More...
Hi Gibson_Dove. Yes, you are absolutely right- do definetely want to reduce the amount of equipment to bring onstage. That's really part of the beauty and simplicity of the Bose approach. To answer your question, you really are looking for three channel control. Is this correct? I'd move the bridge plate pickup to channels 3 or 4 if it is a 1/4" connection and you are happy not using one of the presets that channels 1 and 2 offer. If you run the vocal mic into Ch1, the guitar mic into Ch2...Read More...

Bass - line OUT

Is this "out" for connecting a powered sub (not a B1 Bass Module)? If so is the L1 Cylindrical Radiator loudspeaker still active? Thanks.Read More...
The "bass-line out" is a bandpassed (40-180 if memory serves) line output. We designed it to connect to another power amp that drives more Bose B1 bass modules. The system is designed as, well, a system, and we encourage you to try the B1 solution. Can you send the bass line out to a powered sub? Yes, of course. [This message was edited by Tony-at-Bose on Wed November 26 2003 at 03:51 PM.] [Kyle edited bandpass upper freq] [This message was edited by Kyle-at-Bose on Mon December 01 2003 at...Read More...

Electric Bassists

I was wondering if electric bassists need a pre-amp before plugging in? I don't wan't to use a pre-amp, but I'm not happy with the timbre (color) of my sound. I'm using two bass modules. What do the engineers at Bose recommend?Read More...
To Acoustic Bassist (and other students of this great instrument) The short Q/A: 1. What kind of tone do you want? 2. (Independent of the answer) So, then; go get that. Pretty glib, eh? What we have given you is a blank piece of audio canvas and a variety of tools to get tone with, not to mention an entire universe of tools that exist at, say, the local Guitar Center. Here's what some have done: 1. Sounds like you have an "acoustic bass". If you have a Fishman bridge pickup on it, plug it in...Read More...

What are we doing wrong?

The band I am in recently purchased a entire setup for a five piece band, including the extra bass shared unit. The low end is wonderful and full, but we cant get the vocal mikes loud enough to be heard clearly over the music. We have tried many different things, in the real world you cant be 8 feet away all the times, but we have managed to get them at the very least five to six feet away from each performer. We have used the Beta 57 and we get feedback from each unit we try. I dont think...Read More...
Hi Mike, We got your private info. We'll be contacting you right away to sort things out. There's no reason you shouldn't be getting the same kind of performance everyone else is getting. Hold tight, help is coming.Read More...

Data In/Out

The Base has Data In and Data Out RCA connectors. Is this SPDIF? AES? What frequency does it support?Read More...
dbudde, Great question. The Data IN connector is a proprietary connector used by Bose to program the unit, it is not for use by the end user (as of the present). The Data OUT is a SPDIF output with a sampling rate of 48KHz. The output is channels 1 and 2, left and right respectively. For some studio applications this output will come in handy. Thanks for your question. Kyle So other people can find this one more easily, this thread will be moved to the technical area tomorrow.Read More...

OK, I've tried it. Now how do I fix it?

I am the "sound guy" at a church of about 300 people. The room is flat with a low ceiling and roughly 70 ft square. I took you up on your offer and got 2 systems. I think I really need 4 to completely replicate the number of sound sources we have, but 2 gives us a good starting point. Each radiator has one bass module. I put the preacher through one system. Through the other I put a keyboard (ch 3), keyboardist microphone (ch 1), and bass guitar (ch 2). I also have drums, organ, guitar, and...Read More...
Hello Diamondbill, Please let us know by reply post how we can reach you directly. Also, Cliff left you a post with how to contact him. We as moderators will see your contact information, copy it, then delete your post so that your contact informatio will not be seen by the public. We look forward to working with you.Read More...

L1 Cylindrical Radiator

1. What about feedback...? 2. why 24v fantom??? 3. Is the signal digitally processed before amplification? Philip KOCH www.audionet.beRead More...
Hello philonline, Thanks for posting. See my previous answer to feedback at feedback post . 24V phantom is now the international standard and just about all new equipment will use 24V. Also, you can power almost any 48V microphone with 24V with no change in performance. After the analog front end, signals are sent to a high-power DSP, where system EQ, mixing, and speaker protection processing is done. Then the signals are converted back to analog and amplified. Thanks for the questions. Stay...Read More...

More on "Presets"

Well, I bit the bullet.....yesterday I put down my hard earned cash at Seattle's Guitar Center and came home with a single system & bass bin. Unfortunately, I won't have a chance to use it in a live situation 'till later this month....can't wait. I have a question and a request: Question: In the "Preset" list attached to the power unit, there are a lot of empty presets labeled "Future" I presume these presets will be updated via some as yet unknown method once the Bosemen finish the...Read More...
The acoustic bass w/piezo preset is phenomonal. There's no need for a pre-amp !!!! Thanks Ken.Read More...

Questions Regarding L1 Speakers (Drivers)

Hi: I purchased the L1-B1 combination yesterday, and was curious as to how many speakers (drivers) are contained within each L1 cylinder unit? Also in the B1? I thank you in advance. KevinRead More...
Hi Kevin. Thanks for your purchase! The L1 Cylindrical Radiator loudspeaker has 24 drivers. The B1 Bass Module has 2 drivers. Have fun with the system! KyleRead More...

Protecting the Remote during transportion

Ken-at-Bose
Hi Folks, Don't put the Remote Control in the outside pocket of the Power Stand gig bag. It'll get hit during transportion. The gig bag for the upper half of the Cylindrical Radiator(tm) speaker is designed to leave room for the Remote alongside the bayonet; this is a good protected area.Read More...
Having trouble signing in?

We recently updated our sign-in procedure and if you have old sign-in data cached, this can create a problem. Please:

1. Clear your browser cache and cookies
  2. Then close the browser (not just the window)
  3. Open the browser and try again
Thank you

Please make sure that your profile is up to date