Technical Questions & Issues

Click any model below to learn more

Click any model below to learn more F1 Model 812 F1 Subwoofer B1 Bass ModuleB1 Bass ModuleL1 Model I / ClassicL1 Model IIL1 Model 1SL1 CompactS1 Pro system T4S ToneMatch mixerT8S ToneMatch mixerT1 ToneMatch audio engineA1 PackLite AmpB2 Bass ModuleImage Map

Church Setup

Ken, our quartet tried out the PAS's in a church yesterday. This church is building a new, sizeable building. One guy attending yesterday was on the committe that selected the accoustical design company and had a lot of input on the system they are getting. And, of course, now he is thinking: whoops! He is struggling with the question of should he reopen the subject on sound systems. Can you image the discussions that would have to take place? :-) The roof and exterior walls are up but I...Read More...
Hi Bob, I think your concern is really valid. Our Professional Systems Division works with acoustical design companies all the time. In fact before the Personalized Amplification System, 99% of the division's work was doing custom installations, often in collaboration with design firms. So no problem here. What I suggest is that you arrange a proper introduction of the new live music system to the firm. We have support staff in your area that can help make this happen. If this is an...Read More...

How should we set up?

We are a southern gospel quartet (TTBB). We use accompaniment CD tracs and augment those with a digital piano. We have 2 PAS systems with 2 bass modules. How should we set up? Also, Im confused about a couple of specific things. Most of our CD tracs are dual mono although their are a few stereo tracs. I know you say not to put the same sound through 2 speakers, so since our tracs are dual mono do we just run the CD player through one system? Or do we do a right and left with the dual mono on...Read More...
Send me another post with your email address; I'll keep the post private and send you my mailing address. Can't wait to hear your group.Read More...

Lack of Bass Volume

I just got 2 PAS systems with 2 Bass Modules. I have it set up in my studio (15' x 20') I can verify that the Bass Modules are on by putting my ear up close to them. I'm playing backing tracs that are used by a Southern Gospel male quartet. I don't want rock bass levels but I need something that is like current country. However, I am just not hearing much bass. By comparison, my Mackie HR824 studio monitors have more bass even with the sub turned off. I just think that something is wrong.Read More...
Hmm. I'm always nervous about problems that fix themselves. I'm delighted that it sounds normal now. I'll assume that you're off to the races unless we hear back from you. (Thanks for the compliment on the forum. It's incredible for us too, because we have such a good sense of what the early issues are with the product. These conversations will get packaged so that your colleagues in music that adopt later will have an easier time of it. I guess this is one of the benefits of being a...Read More...

Digital Out

hummerstack
Hi, I see the manual shows a digital out rca jack for chan 1/2. Is this active and can I use it to drive the digital in on my echo mona recording device?Read More...
I'm not 100% sure of the bit depth on the SPDIF output. I believe it is 24 bits. I know our outputs are standard SPDIF. Maybe Kyle knows. For sure Hilmar does. He's in Germany until the week after next. He may get online over there and see this post. Otherwise he'll answer as soon as he gets back.Read More...

Help With Our Setup

Ok, Our church band has 3 of the PAS systems now. We are running the following through a Mackie mixer. 4 mics, 1 guitar, 1 bass, 1 keyboard, 1 drums, and 2 wireless mics for the priests. Our soundboard has two XLR outputs and 4 1/4" outputs. Yesterday, we ran XLR output to one PAS, the other XLR output to another PAS and then tried to "daisy chain" one of the PAS systems to the third one by using the line out function into the third system. This caused a minor problem as the sound coming out...Read More...
Hi Gibson_Dove. Yes, you are absolutely right- do definetely want to reduce the amount of equipment to bring onstage. That's really part of the beauty and simplicity of the Bose approach. To answer your question, you really are looking for three channel control. Is this correct? I'd move the bridge plate pickup to channels 3 or 4 if it is a 1/4" connection and you are happy not using one of the presets that channels 1 and 2 offer. If you run the vocal mic into Ch1, the guitar mic into Ch2...Read More...

Bass - line OUT

Is this "out" for connecting a powered sub (not a B1 Bass Module)? If so is the L1 Cylindrical Radiator loudspeaker still active? Thanks.Read More...
The "bass-line out" is a bandpassed (40-180 if memory serves) line output. We designed it to connect to another power amp that drives more Bose B1 bass modules. The system is designed as, well, a system, and we encourage you to try the B1 solution. Can you send the bass line out to a powered sub? Yes, of course. [This message was edited by Tony-at-Bose on Wed November 26 2003 at 03:51 PM.] [Kyle edited bandpass upper freq] [This message was edited by Kyle-at-Bose on Mon December 01 2003 at...Read More...

Electric Bassists

I was wondering if electric bassists need a pre-amp before plugging in? I don't wan't to use a pre-amp, but I'm not happy with the timbre (color) of my sound. I'm using two bass modules. What do the engineers at Bose recommend?Read More...
To Acoustic Bassist (and other students of this great instrument) The short Q/A: 1. What kind of tone do you want? 2. (Independent of the answer) So, then; go get that. Pretty glib, eh? What we have given you is a blank piece of audio canvas and a variety of tools to get tone with, not to mention an entire universe of tools that exist at, say, the local Guitar Center. Here's what some have done: 1. Sounds like you have an "acoustic bass". If you have a Fishman bridge pickup on it, plug it in...Read More...

What are we doing wrong?

The band I am in recently purchased a entire setup for a five piece band, including the extra bass shared unit. The low end is wonderful and full, but we cant get the vocal mikes loud enough to be heard clearly over the music. We have tried many different things, in the real world you cant be 8 feet away all the times, but we have managed to get them at the very least five to six feet away from each performer. We have used the Beta 57 and we get feedback from each unit we try. I dont think...Read More...
Hi Mike, We got your private info. We'll be contacting you right away to sort things out. There's no reason you shouldn't be getting the same kind of performance everyone else is getting. Hold tight, help is coming.Read More...

Data In/Out

The Base has Data In and Data Out RCA connectors. Is this SPDIF? AES? What frequency does it support?Read More...
dbudde, Great question. The Data IN connector is a proprietary connector used by Bose to program the unit, it is not for use by the end user (as of the present). The Data OUT is a SPDIF output with a sampling rate of 48KHz. The output is channels 1 and 2, left and right respectively. For some studio applications this output will come in handy. Thanks for your question. Kyle So other people can find this one more easily, this thread will be moved to the technical area tomorrow.Read More...

OK, I've tried it. Now how do I fix it?

I am the "sound guy" at a church of about 300 people. The room is flat with a low ceiling and roughly 70 ft square. I took you up on your offer and got 2 systems. I think I really need 4 to completely replicate the number of sound sources we have, but 2 gives us a good starting point. Each radiator has one bass module. I put the preacher through one system. Through the other I put a keyboard (ch 3), keyboardist microphone (ch 1), and bass guitar (ch 2). I also have drums, organ, guitar, and...Read More...
Hello Diamondbill, Please let us know by reply post how we can reach you directly. Also, Cliff left you a post with how to contact him. We as moderators will see your contact information, copy it, then delete your post so that your contact informatio will not be seen by the public. We look forward to working with you.Read More...

L1 Cylindrical Radiator

1. What about feedback...? 2. why 24v fantom??? 3. Is the signal digitally processed before amplification? Philip KOCH www.audionet.beRead More...
Hello philonline, Thanks for posting. See my previous answer to feedback at feedback post . 24V phantom is now the international standard and just about all new equipment will use 24V. Also, you can power almost any 48V microphone with 24V with no change in performance. After the analog front end, signals are sent to a high-power DSP, where system EQ, mixing, and speaker protection processing is done. Then the signals are converted back to analog and amplified. Thanks for the questions. Stay...Read More...

More on "Presets"

Well, I bit the bullet.....yesterday I put down my hard earned cash at Seattle's Guitar Center and came home with a single system & bass bin. Unfortunately, I won't have a chance to use it in a live situation 'till later this month....can't wait. I have a question and a request: Question: In the "Preset" list attached to the power unit, there are a lot of empty presets labeled "Future" I presume these presets will be updated via some as yet unknown method once the Bosemen finish the...Read More...
The acoustic bass w/piezo preset is phenomonal. There's no need for a pre-amp !!!! Thanks Ken.Read More...

Questions Regarding L1 Speakers (Drivers)

Hi: I purchased the L1-B1 combination yesterday, and was curious as to how many speakers (drivers) are contained within each L1 cylinder unit? Also in the B1? I thank you in advance. KevinRead More...
Hi Kevin. Thanks for your purchase! The L1 Cylindrical Radiator loudspeaker has 24 drivers. The B1 Bass Module has 2 drivers. Have fun with the system! KyleRead More...

Protecting the Remote during transportion

Ken-at-Bose
Hi Folks, Don't put the Remote Control in the outside pocket of the Power Stand gig bag. It'll get hit during transportion. The gig bag for the upper half of the Cylindrical Radiator(tm) speaker is designed to leave room for the Remote alongside the bayonet; this is a good protected area.Read More...

Playing cd's, video use, and other applications

Are you able to play cd's and video audio from a vcr? If you wanted to play a video and sing along with it, is there a way to do this? What about effects? Isn't it difficult for the musician to always adjust effects? Every time the person wants to talk to the audience he would have to turn off the effects and turn it on at the beggining of every song. This could be quite cumbersome. What if the backup vocalist would lead a song? Maybe there is a solo and the volume needed to be increased bit...Read More...
I think our unit would be a great fit for that stage, since it covers nearly 180 degrees horizontally without trouble. We’ve tested on very wide stages on the “outer players” have no problem at al hearing each other. There could be a potential problem with the upright piano, depending how high it is. A simple rule of thumb: “As long you can see at least 25% of each others Cylindrical Radiator™ loudspeaker you are fine”. If the piano is blocking more than that, you might want to consider...Read More...

Frequency Response

[Moved from FAQ on behalf of ronjazz] I've only used my new single-bass system three times on gigs so far, and haven't had much of a chance to experiment, but I was wondering if channels 3 and 4 work with just the cylinder or do they send to the bass module as well? I have not esperienced as much bass response with the line-in channels as with the mains. Again, it's very new, and I'm very satisfied with the overall sound and application, but ??? ronjazzRead More...
Channel 3 & 4 do also feed into the bass module. In fact if you set all tone controls on the remote to flat (12 o'clock) and select preset 00, channels 1/2 have the exact same frequeny response as Channel 3/4.Read More...

ocean sounds?

I just set up the system for the first time with a mic. When I turned it on, there is a faint sound like "the ocean". A constant wooshing..... What am I doing wrong?Read More...
Call us at out 800 number immediately and we will help you figure this out. The number is (800) 367-4008. [Ken put the sales number down. This is the tech support number] [This message was edited by Steve-at-Bose on Wed November 12 2003 at 07:27 PM.]Read More...

Drum setup

How do you setup the drums with this system? I use at least four mics(kick,snare, two overheads) for my drums. Do I need a mixer before going to the speaker? Thank you!Read More...
Hi Eric. If you want to use 4 mics, you will most likely want to use a mixer. What we have found to work best is a kick mic, and one or two mic's in the rack of the kit (as opposed to overhead). The overhead mic's end up picking up more than just drums which takes away from clarity of the sound. The kit mic's are closer to the source and therefore get more drum signal. The Personalized Amplification System (tm) family of products has 2 mic/line inputs and 2 line inputs for total of 4 inputs.Read More...

Question??

Boyz at Bose, I will be playing tomorrow night (11/7) with my harmonica player/vocalist. We will be rehearsing tonight. What is the best way to hook up two vocals (with reverb), one guitar channel (with reverb), and a harp amp (Fender Blues Deluxe?) I have both an 8 channel unpowered JBL mixer or an 8 channel powered Mackie mixer available. Your timely comments are appreciated. Thanks! Paul MetsaRead More...
Both mixers will probably work fine, I'd recommend using the unpowered mixer just because its less weight to carry around. Just run everything into the mixer and hook up the reverb to an aux/effects path (post-fader) of the mixer. I assume you only have one Personalized Amplification System(tm). In that case you can use up to two presets by hooking the L/R outputs of the mixer up to channels 1 & 2 of the power stand. All mixer channels that you pan all the way left will get the preset...Read More...

A note on specifications

Well I'm a bass player and I play two 2x10 cabs with a horn. They sound nice but were also chosen by virtue of the fact that they have to fit into the trunk of Toyota Camry and I refuse to carry anything in excess of 60lbs. What I certainly would prefer is an 8x10 cab by a well-known manufacturer but a weight 200+ lbs is prohibitive (not even considering transportation and price). Anyway, I just pulled out the specification sheets of both cabs and according to the manufacturers' published...Read More...

presets

I think that Modman's suggestion for clipping indicator led's on channels 3 & 4 is an excellent suggestion (are you already working on "Return of the PAS - The Next Generation"?) If so, it would also be really nice to be able to switch presets on the fly from the remote or a midi pedal. For us multi-instrumentalists who switch from electric guitar to acoustic guitar to mandolin, etc.(sometimes in the same song) it would be nice to be able to "foot control" the presets. Speaking of...Read More...
I agree. We ought to add that to the web site. We have it started in the "your sound" section with the individual instruments, but it is not easy to figure out. Thanks for the heads up. As for the additional features, those are great ideas. We certainly hope to deliver the next version someday (we have a lot of great ideas too) but we'll have to make a business out of this product before we can go on to version two. As someone said before, the Betamax tape was superior to the VHS tape, and...Read More...

Deeper tech specs please, oh wise ones...

wurlwynd
Looks amazing. I might need 5 towers and 8 sub units. First, some questions... What is the frequency response of the tower and the sub? What about max SPL of the tower and the sub at 40hz, 100hz, 500hz, 1khz, 10khz, and 20khz? How was SPL measured? What are the maximum power ratings for each of the amps in the base, and THD levels? Thanks for your valuable time! WWRead More...
We are in the process of establishing the FAQ section that will hopefully answer all these questions comprehensively. That should appear sometime next week. Until then your patience is appreciated. ThanksRead More...

MA12

IanHB
Can you please tell me the difference between the new enclosure and the existing MA12? def old fartRead More...
The MA12 is a loudspeaker primarily used for fixed installations. The Cylindrical Radiator™ loudspeakers used in the Personalized Amplification System™ use some of the acoustic technology, although they come in a more compact and lightweight package. One Personalized Amplification System™ gives you similar performance to 2 stacked MA-12 loudspeakers plus - built in power amplifiers - built in digital controller - front end with microphone and line inputs, line outs and inserts And all that...Read More...

DJ Use

I've used Bose gear for my DJ company for many years...a pair (and for big jobs, sometimes four) 802s, and one or two 502 subs, powered by Crown amps. Obviously, this new product looks great, but I need more info: What kind of wattage is produced by the speaker and the sub? Am I correct to assume that I need two Cylindrical Radiators for stereo? How tall is the CR? And will it provide the same broad coverage set up on a dance floor (where sound can be blocked by dancers on the same level as...Read More...
Originally posted by saxpoet: I'll repeat the part of the question you didn't answer: What kind of wattage is produced by the speaker and the sub? My instintive answer is that the power amp specifications don't matter: the SYSTEM specifications do. In a second I will answer your question regardless of your motiviation for asking it because I don't want to be evasive. But first, if you're asking because you want to know how loud the system will play, the answer is that it will play loud...Read More...

With a rack system???

toneman
I have an elaborate stereo rack guitar system. My System I don't have to play overly loud, but it is a tube amp and getting those tubes to compress is part of the magic. How would this new system work with my setup? Would I need two of these new systems to run stereo? Would I just mic my cabinets as usual?Read More...
You certainly use your rack to make your sound and use the Bose(r) Personalized Amplification System(tm) to deliver the final results to you, your fellow musicians and the audience. You'll may that especially your band fellows and the audience will like it better because they actually get to hear the tone that you've so carefully created. There are a couple of options how to connect your rack to the system: You can close-mic the cab or use a direct out on the amp (with speaker simulator, if...Read More...
Having trouble signing in?

We recently updated our sign-in procedure and if you have old sign-in data cached, this can create a problem. Please:

1. Clear your browser cache and cookies
  2. Then close the browser (not just the window)
  3. Open the browser and try again
Thank you

Please make sure that your profile is up to date