2008 Spring South Atlantic States Conference

Featured Topics

Special Monday Night Lecture Presentation Announcement...

Ken-at-Bose
Hi Folks, I am very pleased to announce a special lecture for Monday evening, before the music starts. I need to give you a little background first. W. Eugene Smith was a world famous American photographer. I venture to guess that all of you know his work if not his name as he was one of Life Magazine's most gifted artists. I include here one image from one of the most famous Life Magazine essays called "The Country Doctor". There are many other Smith images that are world famous. edit: spellingRead More...
I will definitely let everyone know when Sam's book is published. There's going to be a lot of hoopla I'm sure. Sam just made a discovery yesterday that I've asked him if I can share. I hope he says yes. KenRead More...

Topics

Memories of the past...

JohnNell
Gosh...memories of Lil' Switzerland came back to me this morning, as I read some posts in the Micro-managed at the gig post. I guess it's just Springtime, a beautiful day in my neck of the woods, and reading posts by some of the great people I met while at the conference that caused all this to happen! Boy, that a was GREAT conference for me! Please excuse me, while I "re-live" some of those memories.... JohnRead More...
Hey John - I was thinking of you the other day. Sometime we will make it up your way for a visit.Read More...

Martha's Birthday

roy
Martha turns 50 today. If you get a chance you can email her at marthaps@aol.com. She has been sick since Christmas so we are staying in tonight. Thanks RoyRead More...
Hi Roy, Please tell Martha Happy Birthday from Ken. Tell her that I am seriously in need of a Martha-Music-Fix. KenRead More...

Reflections of 2008

JohnNell
As the year 2008 comes to a close and I sat at my computer tonight browsing the Message Board, I found myself here in the Little Switzerland, NC conference area just reading some past posts from the conference. I paused for a moment and thought about all of you. I hope everyone had a good year and I wish you all a prosperous new year! Here's the group photo Eve took of us in the last few hours at Little Switzerland and that Ken-at-Bose had previously posted. Take a look and reflect for a...Read More...
...with a Kentucky accent, of course...Read More...

Lost Video

roy
Hey everybody - Since playing is slowing down here I have been trying to catch up and organize. I found some video from Little Switzerland. Just follow the links. They are password protected. The password is Bose-L1 Hope you all enjoy them and they bring back some good memories. I am sorry but I don't know the names of the two guy's that came from Japan. Roy Video 1 Tres Video 2 Video 3Read More...
Hi Ken this is from Martha. Thanks so much for the kind words. Hope to see you guys in the near future. Happy holidays!Read More...

Photos from Little Switzerland

smsgtpmp
Hey All, Confiscated the memory card from Ray's camera to get some pics from a recent gig. Lo and Behold, what do I find but pics from the conference! I see there is a Post New Photo Album" function. If I can't figure that out, I've put the pics in a Flash file. Coming right up! PmPRead More...
Hi Pete, As you are viewing the photo album, you can click on a picture you like. On the menu that pops up, click "Detach", and you will get that photo in a separate browser window and you can download it from there.Read More...

Some MySpace pages and starting the discussion....

Good morning, This is an extension of the closing discussion we had at Little Switzerland 5/6/08. Im starting it it here...maybe it belongs somewhere else. As I was saying yesterday, at first MySpace music pages can seem really primitive and to some unprofessional. But, I think they are incredibly effective at conveying the 'health' of a musician/band within their scene. It also is amazing at helping connect musicians to musicians, musicians to fans, and to fans to fans. You can roam for...Read More...
Tub Ring are really good guys too. I took my daughter to see them a few years back, and had unknowingly parked in a tow-away zone. After the show, I was surprised by my car being gone and went back into the venue to make calls and find out how to retrieve it. The cost to get it back was $150, which I didn't have, so the guys in the band, whom I had never met loaned me the money to get my car back. So now I buy all their records...quirky fun.Read More...

A sentimental reflection...

JohnNell
The recent video posts on the message board of Ken and Chris’ presentations at Little Switzerland have prompted me to write this short message, along with seeing the occasional post in different threads on the board by my friends I met at the LS conference. It’s been two or so months after the LS conference and I’m finding I have many fond memories of how wonderful it was and to have been able to spend time with everyone while there. I truly feel “connected” to all of you that I met at the...Read More...
Michael, Naturally, we really missed you. I'm really glad that you seem to be past that patch now. We hope to see you soon. With best regards, KenRead More...

Dean Dwyer and Porchboard featured in June CWB issue

BabyBlueEyes
Hi, folks, I got my June 2008 CWB (Custom Woodworking Business) today, and as Dean mentioned at Little Switz, his feature article was there. And here it is online: The Birth of an Instrument, featuring Dean DwyerRead More...
Yes, thanks ST! Nice article, and thanks for posting it Nathan... Brings back nice memories from LS as well.Read More...

V-drums Vs. A-drums at the Monday Night Jam

DrumrPete
Hello conference attendees! A little help if you would. At the monday night jam, if you remember, Ken & Chris-at-Bose motioned for me to switch from the TrapKAT to the acoustic drum set two or three songs into the set. At the time I thought "they don't like the V-drums!?"...later realized that they probably just wanted to hear the difference. I'm hoping so anyway. But no one ever mentioned what they thought about it all, so I ask you now. Things I'm interested in learning are: Your...Read More...
I took your advice O...I have an outdoor party, a "reunion" gig tomorrow afternoon with a classic country & 70's rock band I played in during the 90's. The party host and brother of the lead singer has his own really big PA, but I am taking a Model II w/Packlite & 4-B1s for my monitor. As I was loading up, I instinctively grabbed the TrapKAT and the Roland TD-12...it's just so easy.Read More...

Sunday Morning Christian Service

DrumrPete
I would sure like to see an early Sunday morning prayer, and thanksgiving, for all we will have surrounding us on that day, May 3rd. We will have a Reverend in our midst, and I would love to ask if he would like to lead us with something musical and spiritual. It could be in the Geneva Hall, if it's available, or one of many beautiful spots around the resort. A couple acoustics and a bongo...whatever. Raise a joyous noise. Can we fit a little something in? What say RJ? I'll bring a bucket...Read More...
Nice shot...thanks, Cliff!Read More...

Ken Jacob's remembrances...

Ken-at-Bose
Exhausted... Happy beyond belief. So grateful for others. Over the coming days I'll post my remembrances of out little trip into outer space. I'm going to close this thread until after I post thoughts and pictures. With best regards, KenRead More...
Sweet memories, for sure. Ken, thanks for keeping us stirred up with your beautiful photos. rwjRead More...
Page

Reflections on Little Switzerland - What I Learned

Tom Munch
My re-entry has been much more hectic than I anticipated, & I haven't had the chance to post all the wonderful mind-bending results of yet another stellar gathering for me. I'll try to steal some time to post them here. The main things I saw in Little Switzerland were the generosity, genuineness, & selflessness of everyone in the group. I've decided that this is what makes a truly remarkable gathering. I saw this in Big Sur - the honest respect & admiration of each person for...Read More...
I saw something else in LS. We have now started to move on to the next level of sophistication in understanding live sound. It seems that we have had enough experience with the L1® so that now we use it as a well-worn tool to graduate to the next levels of making music. I saw it in the jam. We now understand the concept of arranging & instrumentation choices in an intuitive way so that in the jam no one walked on each other. When there was more than one electric guitar they took turns.Read More...

Sunday Hike Photos

gitarzan
This photo album contains pictures from our Sunday hike at Linville Falls. Participants were Tom, OLDGHM, Chris-at-Bose, and myself (Larry/Gitarzan).Read More...
Hi Nathan, Since you asked, its a 3.2 megapixel, fixed focus camera in a new Sony Ericsson phone I'm working on. It works pretty well in bright light. I actually had to reduce the resolution on the pictures by about half to get them to load into the photo gallery. I can't tell you much more about the phone since its a prototype, except that when its launched it should be an awesome music phone (surprise surprise). LarryRead More...

Little Big Horn Conference.

(Thank goodness for ST on this site: Nuts and Bolts, 24/7. Never fails to stick to the meat-and-potatoes, yet still be entertaining. Basically, he IS this site.) I read nothing substantial about this system in this "Conference" thread. I don't think I even saw a picture of an L1, let alone a substantive mention of one. Please refer me to the substantive posts I obviously missed. I saw a lot of flowers, and some people stretching at dawn. So where is the posted text of all the meaningful...Read More...
Dennis, Funny you should single out ST. If you read posts from previous conferences you'll find that he is just as affected as any of us, & that's not a bad thing. The community we have created & the brotherhood we have is essential to the kind of support we give & the philosophy of fairness that is the foundation of this forum. The initial afterglow of any of our conferences is overwhelming gratitude for our fellow musicians & then later it gets down to brass tacks about...Read More...

Safe Travels

ST
To all who are headed home - best wishes for a great trip. Travel safe! And when you get a chance, please tell us about your experiences at the conference.Read More...
I made it home finally, after a couple of sightseeing side-trips on the way! Rolled in about 5:30 PM this evening... I still have photos in the camera from the conference that I haven't loaded onto the computer yet. I'll work on those over the weekend and post a few more. It's been a couple of days now, since we were all gathered at Lit'l Switzerland, but I'm still feeling remnants of the emotional "highs" coming over me from time to time. Some put a smile on my face, others grab my heart...Read More...

Europe is coming!

Hello All, We are delighted to anounce that we can attend the L1 convention. Who will be there from the EU? Guy Balbaert - Live Music Market Manager EU Wiechert Vermeulen - Live Music Product Support Manager EU A little bird told us that Japan could be on board for this one as well with their own small delegation See you all soon. We can't wait. Guy Balbaert.Read More...
How much richer am I by Wiek's and Guy's participation!! Thanks to you both for coming over! And oh, oh, oh, how I loved Wiek's saxophone. We must do THAT again.Read More...

Just a reminder/request...

Troisnoir
I thought I'd start this thread... Would any of you who took pics, especially digital video, please make that known, with a description of what you have? I'd be happy to contact each of you by PM, as I'm sure all of us would, but I don't know who has what. I spoke with Eve, and I know she didn't get EVERYTHING recorded (slacker that she is ) so, give it up! Personally, I would appreciate some video of my stuff to put on my website, but I'd like videos of everything, just for the memories.Read More...
BBE, Yeah, I know it's early, just starting the prompting... I was going to wait for the movie, but you know how directors like to cut footage and change the story around...Read More...

Available instruments for all to play...

I wanted to share with you some of the fine instruments that we will bringing to the conference for all to enjoy and play. Our ToneMatch partners Ovation, Takamine, and Lakland were all excited to contribute. NeilRead More...
I enjoyed playing with the Takamine and the PorchBoard during lunch. It had a good feel to it and purchasing a PorchBoard, says how much I liked it. Lots of fun and motivation to get back at it.Read More...

You are the man

Joelheck
It is not very often that we get the chance to witness, much less work with a person of Ken's caliber. His positive attitude, ability to delegate and infectious enthusiasm, helped shape this Bose and forum member conference into a most memorable event. I believe Ken had a great team of sincere and caring people, keeping things together, but it takes true leadership to delegate, and not micro manage. It would be hard to name names, when so many people gave over and above to contribute to this...Read More...
Dear Joel. Thank you. You were a wonderful roommate and so was Tommy (Boston: Too-wah-mee), in our charming A-frame cottage in the woods. It also turns out that you are an excellent singer. Then, when I don't think anyone expected it, you strapped on that big bad Gibson bass for the start of the jam-finale on Monday night, and laid down the law. Cool. KenRead More...
Having trouble signing in?

We recently updated our sign-in procedure and if you have old sign-in data cached, this can create a problem. Please:

1. Clear your browser cache and cookies
  2. Then close the browser (not just the window)
  3. Open the browser and try again
Thank you

Please make sure that your profile is up to date